Understanding the complexities and challenges of cross-border M&A transactions can be overwhelming. But with industry knowledge, talent, and execution, successful cross-border M&A transactions are not only possible, but well within reach.
Having experience on your side is an important first step in planning and executing the M&A process. Velocity Global recently partnered with McDermott Will & Emery for a webinar that discussed the challenges of and solutions to cross-border M&A transactions. This illuminating webinar covered:
- Solutions to help streamline M&A transactions, reduce risks, and increase efficiency
- Employment management, employee benefits, cross-company employee integration, and post-acquisition executive compensation
- Major corporate and tax issues concerning cross-border M&A transactions
Cross-border M&A Transactions 101
Alexander Lee, a partner at McDermott Will and Emery, presented the various types of cross-border transactions and complexities, noting typical challenges associated with cross-border deals. More specifically, he discussed inbound and outbound transactions, including:
- US domestic company acquisitions of foreign companies
- Foreign company acquisitions of domestic US companies
- Domestic company acquisition of another domestic company with foreign subsidiaries
Alexander then went on to discuss forms of transactions, explaining equity sales versus asset sales, and providing examples of both. He addressed the various issues that are often associated with cross-border transactions, including corporate, intellectual property, and regulatory issues. He concluded his presentation by covering the different tax issues associated with cross-border M&As.
Employment Transfers in Cross-Border Transactions
Maureen O’Brien, a partner at McDermott Will & Emery, provided knowledge into the hurdles that can come with transferring the workforce to a new employer or continuing the workforce with a new employer and how each can be mitigated. She noted:
- Pension schemes, including defined benefit versus defined contribution
- Health benefits
- Fringe benefits
Solutions for Global Transactions
Rob Wellner, Director of Sales at Velocity Global, rounded out the webinar by addressing innovative solutions to streamline global M&A transactions, as well as demonstrating certainty to close a deal and increasing buying power. He spoke of the advantages of relying on Velocity Global to streamline the global expansion process:
- Staying compliant and ensuring a smooth M&A process
- Reducing time-to-market by up to 90%
- Cutting costs by as much as 60%
Execute Your Cross-Border M&A Transaction with Confidence
There are a number of challenges overcome and considerations to be mindful of when planning your M&A transaction—but you don’t have to traverse this terrain alone. Our latest webinar offers the tools and insight you need to equip yourself to make informed decisions about cross-border M&A transactions.
Have questions about how Velocity Global can assist you with your next cross-border M&A transaction? Reach out to us today to learn more about how our M&A experts can assist you with your next cross-border transaction.