Skip to main content
Non catégorisé

Comment obtenir un permis de travail pour le Japon

By juin 3, 2019septembre 29th, 2022No Comments

Japan has earned a reputation as a country where it is difficult to immigrate, whether temporarily or permanently. It can be difficult for foreigners to enter, find work or enter the local market. The following news headlines from 2017 illustrate the general feeling about the difficulty of obtaining a work permit for Japan:

In fact, Japan does not impose any legal quota on the number of permanent residence permits, work permits or naturalizations issued. The reason Japan’s immigration numbers are so low is that, in general, very few foreigners choose to live there. But it is true that Japan is currently facing a labor shortage , due to the aging and shrinking of its population. Companies present in Japan will have to turn to foreign labor to fill many vacant positions. And to do that, you will need to get a work permit for Japan. In this article, we briefly explain how to do it.

Types of work permits in Japan

There are two main categories of work permits in Japan: visas for highly skilled professionals and work visas. The work visa is the basic work permit in Japan, and it is intended for a number of professional categories:

  • Teacher
  • Artiste
  • Religious activities
  • Journalist
  • Executive manager
  • Accounting and legal services
  • Medical services
  • Searcher
  • Instructor
  • Engineer / Human Resources Specialist / International Services
  • Intra-company transferee
  • Performing artist
  • Skilled labor

These permits are granted for periods ranging from three months to five years. The Highly Skilled Professional visa is a point-based system that aims to attract the best talent in the world to come and work in Japan. This program offers three types of visa:

  • Advanced academic research activities
  • Advanced technical / specialized activities
  • Advanced business management activities

This type of visa gives more rights than the work permit:

  • A five-year stay
  • Visas for spouse and dependent children
  • A work visa for the spouse
  • Under certain conditions, visas for parents who come to take care of their grandchildren
  • Visas for house staff

Once the initial three-year period has elapsed, the highly skilled worker can access another level of the highly skilled professional visa which grants its holder authorization to stay for an indefinite period.

Procedures for obtaining a work visa in Japan

As for many other countries , the steps to obtain a work visa in Japan begin with the search for a sponsor in the country. Once there is a job offer, the sponsoring individual or local organization applies to the Regional Immigration Office in Japan for a Certificate of Eligibility. The documents required to apply for a certificate are as follows:

  • A completed application form
  • A photo of 4 cm x 3 cm
  • A pre-stamped return envelope at 392 yen
  • Supporting documents proving that you are entering for authorized reasons corresponding to the requested visa
  • A letter of guarantee

In the case of applying for a Highly Qualified Professional visa , the candidate must submit a points calculation form in addition to the documents mentioned above. A person is considered a highly qualified professional if they score more than 70 points in the corresponding visa category. While the Regional Immigration Office processes the application for the Certificate of Eligibility, the sponsoring worker or employer must prepare the necessary documents for the corresponding visa application. The visa application guide also offers downloadable examples of the documents that must accompany the application form:

  • Guarantee letter
  • Invitation letter
  • List of people applying for a visa
  • Company/Organization Information
  • Itinerary in Japan

Consult your local Japanese consulate for more information regarding the supporting documents needed to apply for a visa, or work with experts in international mobility solutions to help you navigate the visa system in Japan. The local consulate or embassy will review your application and decide whether or not to issue a visa.

Arrival in Japan

Once the visa has been obtained, the candidate has three months to move to Japan. Upon landing in Japan, you must obtain a resident card, called “Zairyu”. These cards are only issued at certain entry points:

  • at Narita Airport near Tokyo
  • at Haneda Airport in Tokyo
  • at Chubu Airport serving Nagoya
  • at Kansai Airport, near Osaka
  • at Shin-Chitose Airport near Sapporo
  • at Hiroshima airport
  • at Fukuoka Airport

The American Embassy in Japanrecommends that its nationals keep their card with them at all times. Japanese police can stop you and ask you to show your card at any time, and failure to show it is against the law. The information on the card must be up to date. If the card holder changes residence, he/she must go to the competent municipal office to update his residence card within 14 days. Expand your business in the Japanese market with the help of an experienced partner. The Japanese economy and its employment situation offer many opportunities for companies wishing to establish a presence in this country. But if your company is not yet ready to establish a long -term presence thereterm, Velocity Global Employer of Record (Portage Salarial International)  can get you up and running in this market in just 48 hours, with no long-term commitment. If you believe that the Japanese market fully meets your international growth objectives, you will be able to make the transition to an entity when the time comes and without difficulty. Ready to take the first step to expanding your global footprint? Let’s talk about it .