For the first time in the history of hard work, we’ve gained a new understanding of not only how jobs can be done, but from where.
Even before COVID-19, employees and employers across the globe harnessed technology to untether from outdated, office-only models and usher in a work-from-anywhere era. By connecting through robust communication platforms like Slack and Zoom, entire companies have left behind cubicles and corner offices for comfy, at-home workspaces and destination worksites, like a sunlit bistro table or a calm beachside Airbnb balcony.
If you’re used to working a traditional, office-based job, work from anywhere (also known as WFA) is likely a foreign concept, if not a far-fetched one. But in reality, WFA is reshaping the world of work as we know it.
Here’s Why WFA is the Future of Work
In Velocity Global’s Work in Progress—The State of Distributed Work: Tech Sector report from last year, we found that a considerable 72% of employees from U.S. and UK tech companies worked remotely. And while many of the companies have a central office, commuting there is optional.
A major reason so many companies embrace flexibility is to expand business and foster employee growth opportunities. Establishing a global presence brings more perspective, knowledge, and competitive advantages.
Roles, Job Sectors, and Work Styles
With a work-from-anywhere mindset, a number of roles in primary job sectors are now fulfilled from across the world. These roles and job sectors include:
Depending on the company, these roles are designed for a mix of full-time or part-time employees or independent contractors, but companies typically will use a remote work policy to dictate the style of remote work allowed, ranging from:
Top Work-From-Anywhere Companies
Countless companies have made the switch to WFA and aren’t looking back. As this comprehensive list from the remote job board Remotive explains, some of the best and brightest businesses have gone 100% virtual, including:
- Shopify. This thriving eCommerce platform considers itself “digital by default,” making it a premier remote-first, work-from-anywhere company.
- Study.com. With online learning modules and study resources, this virtual educational space uses WFA contract positions for writing, editing, and more.
- WordPress. The team behind this content management system considers itself a distributed workforce that’s democratizing webdev worldwide.
- Wikimedia. The parent company of Wikipedia has always been internet-minded by maintaining WFA fact-checkers and editors across the globe.
- GoDaddy. Known worldwide for its domain distribution, GoDaddy embraces the world wide web by allowing its employees to work from anywhere.
- Hopper. The team behind this travel savings app is distributed almost everywhere, with satellite offices from London to New York.
WFA Job Benefits and Values Explained
Another hard-to-ignore reason why businesses fly the WFA flag is to bring better work-life balance to employees of any title and status, while increasing collaboration and productivity. Beyond competitive pay, some common benefits of WFA jobs are:
- Better work-life balance. Without the long commute, impromptu in-person meetings, or late office hours, time saved at work can be better spent living life.
- Increased productivity. 51% of employees surveyed here say that working from anywhere has boosted productivity while reducing wasted time.
- Flexibility in working hours. Working from anywhere can flip the typical 9-5 schedule in favor of more convenient working hours specific to time zones.
- Consistent PTO. Productivity, working hours, and the vacation expectations of specific countries all factor into giving employees more time off.
- Fluid collaboration. Through chat systems like Slack, WFA teams can easily collaborate anytime, anywhere without requiring a traditional meeting.
Staying Compliant While Working from Anywhere
Both companies and employees know that the benefits of working anywhere outweigh the business risks. Still, there are some factors for employers to consider. As an employee working abroad for a U.S. business, you must comply with the local employment, immigration, and tax regulations.
Companies worry about complying with these same issues. But for businesses, this golden age of work-from-anywhere is becoming much easier with help from global talent solutions that solve the complexities of hiring overseas talent and handling local HR, payroll, and work visa requirements.
Ready to WFA?
Given that companies continue to build entirely new work-from-anywhere establishments right on top of current foundations, WFA is here to stay. If you’re ready to work the way you want, it’s time to discover how going remote reshapes careers. At Velocity Global, we started our Out-of-Office Year contest to allow traditional in-office employees to work anywhere and create an actionable reality for the future of employment. Reach out today to learn more.